Saturday 6 June 2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Updated classics are usually not my thing. I don't read abridged copies and I rarely enjoy the movie more than I did the book. But I have to hand it to Seth Grahame-Smith; the addition of zombies, katanas and ninjas to Jane Austen's beloved novel was pure inspiration.
The plot changes very little, despite the revamp. This made a few of the scenes tedious, but this was no doubt due to an eagerness to get back to Grahame-Smith's renovations. What really makes this book read-worthy, however, is that Grahame-Smith manages to marry the traditional regency culture seamlessly to the Asian inspired sub-plot. It seems perfectly believable that Lady Catherine de Bourgh would travel to Japan to study combat under the masters. Charlotte's marriage to Collins suddenly seems reasonable when paired with an impending death by zombie bite and Darcy exacting his revenge on Wickham by breaking nearly every bone in his body seems not only justifiable, but perfect.
I can only hope that others find this rendition of the classic story as entertaining and well crafted as I did. Certainly I feel that boys and men, socially dictated as usually wanting nothing to do with the Edwardian romance, will be able to connect and enjoy the adaptation. I also wish that girls and women, many of whom I personally know to hate any variance from Austen's true vision, will also find this version acceptable and to their liking.
Austen may have written the perfect romance, but I have always been partial to a good parody. Nothing is above satire and Pride and Prejudice should not be an exception. Especially when the outcome is as delightful a read as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

No comments: